If you’re planning on moving out we are sad to see you go, but we wanted to provide a guide for you to ensure your move out goes as smoothly as possible. These are the steps involved when you’re moving out.
- Give your written notice at least 30 days prior to when you’re planning to move out. This is a very important step that helps us make all necessary arrangements timely, and also helps future prospective tenants. We generally don’t show any rentals until after you have moved out. Notice to vacate must be submitted in writing, so please either email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or drop it in our dropbox at the office.
- Make sure all of your belongings are removed and you’ve left the home clean and ready for the next tenant. We understand general wear and tear on a home, but please leave it in the best shape you can. Leaving trash or damage will reduce the amount you receive back from your damage deposit. Excessive damage or cleaning may consume your entire damage deposit and cause you to have an additional balance. Balances that aren’t satisfied within 30 days will be sent to collections unless you make a payment plan arrangement with us.
- If applicable, please make sure the yard is mowed and weedeated and in generally good condition. All trash, debris, and rubbish needs to be removed from the yard and properly disposed of as well. If you are discarding a large quantity of items or large items that won’t fit in the trash can please make sure you call the city to make arrangements for pick up after you place them on the curb.
- Regardless of what date you stated that you would be moved out, make sure to turn in your keys as soon as you are completely moved out and the home is clean and ready for a new tenant. If something were to happen to the home before you’ve turned in your keys you would still be responsible, so it’s always in your best interest to turn over possession as soon as you have no further need to access the property.
- Turning in keys: Please place all of the keys in an envelope with your NAME (or the name of the person on the lease) ONLY. DO NOT write the address on the envelope or anywhere on the keys. If the envelope were to be received by anyone other than authorized personnel from our company your name doesn’t tell them anything, but the address tells them everything. This policy is meant to protect you.
- Exit interview: We have an online exit interview for all tenants to take when moving out. This provides us with the information we need about how to distribute the damage deposit and where to send it. It also helps us to improve our operations for future tenants by allowing you to submit suggestions or concerns. It only takes a few minutes and is required. CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE EXIT INTERVIEW.
- Inspection will be completed within 2 business days of receiving your keys back. If you have any concerns about potential deductions from your damage deposit refund please let us know and we can contact you after the inspection is complete to inform you of the results and give you an opportunity to discuss the deductions.
- You’ll receive your damage deposit refund, along with an itemized statement of any deductions from the damage deposit (if applicable) within 30 days of your move out to the address listed on your exit interview. You must do the exit interview in order to receive the damage deposit refund owed. It may take up to 7 days for you to receive your refund after you’ve done the exit interview, so please make sure you complete the interview as soon as possible. Once you receive your refund if you have any questions or concerns please contact us.